Southwest Mutual
Insurance Company
108 North 4th Street
New Salem, ND 58563
Phone: (701) 843-7640
Fax: (701) 843-8106


Company Profile

Company History

Southwest Mutual Insurance Company is one of the oldest continuously operating businesses centered in New Salem, North Dakota. Incorporated in 1900 by twenty-six charter members, the original name of the company was Morton County Fire and Lightning Insurance Company. The original rates for the company were $2.00 membership fee and $.50 per $100.00 of insurance for a five year term. Minutes for the first ten years, as well as the first issued policies, are in German. In 1902, farmers in Oliver County were taken into the company, and the name was changed to Morton and Oliver Counties Fire and Lightning Insurance Company. The company operated out of the home of the Secretary-Treasurer, until 1979, when office space was rented in downtown New Salem. In September 1983, the new office building was completed and the company moved to their new location, which is location they operate from today.


On January 1, 1997, Adams Farm Mutual Insurance Company of Hettinger, North Dakota merged with Morton and Oliver Counties Mutual Fire and Lightning Insurance Company, forming the current company, Southwest Mutual Insurance Company. Southwest Mutual currently services policyholders in nineteen North Dakota counties, with over 1400 members. Southwest Mutual offering farmowner, mobile home, manufactured home, homeowner (including mobile and manufactured homeowner), inland marine and personal, country home, farm and owners, landlord and tenant liability products.